I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could
count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne
and in front of the Lamb.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In His Hands

I have not received much new information this morning except that the guys at the base camp in Petionville have already begun to cook some of the food they bought yesterday. They will be preparing rice and beans, which is a Haitian staple, and will be adding some protein to it with the canned tuna and sardines they brought from the Dominican Republic on Monday.

As far as I know the rest of the team will be heading to St. Marc this morning for one more attempt to get the food off of the boat. Thank you to everyone who has been praying constantly for this situation. We know that it is in God's hands and He will be glorified no matter what happens.

I was not able to post anything about the worship service which was held last night because, well I was tired and could not type anymore :) So here you go...

At around 6:00 local time, the team participated in a worship service in the street not far from the church where they are sleeping at night. There were about one hundred people there and from what I heard it was pretty amazing. Our guys were able to witness worship taking place in another culture, which can be quite breathtaking even for those who have experienced it before. There was a lady who led the worship service and although I do not know her name, I do have a little bit of background information about her. Jeremy's initial contact in Haiti is a man named Josue Raymond (sp?). He is from Haiti, but now lives in Florida and works as a principal at a school there. Shortly before the earthquake his father, who still lived in Haiti, passed away and Josue went back to Haiti to bury him. His father was the pastor of four churches in the area, including the church where our team is working this week. While Josue was in Haiti for the funeral, the country was crippled by the earthquake and Josue ended up staying for a while to help the people in his hometown as much as possible. He is back home in Florida now, but has done a lot of hard work to get our team where they need to be and to establish contacts for them. He also runs an organization called Hope 'N Literacy. The lady who led the worship service is Josue's father's widow.

During the worship service she read Luke 21. Then Scott Ronyak, one of the missionaries with To Every Tribe in Texas, preached the sermon. I hate that I missed it because Jeremy said that Scott did a tremendous job. He began with creation and explained the fall of man, then took them all the way through to Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. They plan to do a worship service every evening while they are in Petionville, so please pray for the Haitian people who may be hearing the Gospel for the first time, and also for the ones who will be delivering the message.

You can probably understand that it is difficult for me to relay the information about these events since I am not actually there with them. I am getting reports from different people all day and I hope I can piece it together enough that you have a small picture of what is going on with our team in Haiti, but I apologize if details are not always exactly accurate or timely. Pray for me as I try to put it all together in a way that is clear and concise.

As I receive information about the situation in St. Marc I will pass it along.

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" Romans 10:14-15

2 comments:

  1. Kandy-- I don't believe we've ever met, but I'm a member of GFBC, who moved away to GA about 1.5 yrs ago with my husband's job. I returned to GFBC back in Nov. for Orphan Sunday. The Lord is calling my husband & I to orphan care, we believe through adoption, but we're still waiting for the Lord to order our next steps...just wanted to give you some background. Anyway, the blogosphere has been instrumental in God's calling on my life... and as a rather large consumer of the blog world I feel qualified to say that you are doing an awesome job and I will continue to pray for you and the team.
    Love in Christ--

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen.. keep preaching the gospel
    andy najera

    ReplyDelete